The Timothy Christian School Debate program has steadily become a force in the state of New Jersey for the past decade. With a recent state champion, and regular qualifiers for the state and national tournaments, it is easy to see how the Tigers are pound-for-pound one of the best debate programs in the state.
The 2014-15 Debate season has been no different for the Debate team. Timothy Christian School students have competed in Connecticut, New York City, Boston, and almost every corner of New Jersey. Check out some of the highlights from this season…
- Eight TCS Debaters have qualified for the NJ State Tournament by finishing top-6 in a varsity tournament, or medaling at a national tournament event between the months of September and March.
- Jolie Ruta was named JV Tournament Champion at the Ridge High School Debate Tournament.
- Christine Jensen and Destiny Pappas both qualified for playoff debates in JV at Harvard University with Christine being named the tournament’s 11th Best Speaker out of a pool of nearly 300 students.
- Michael Meleta placed 6th overall in the Varsity division at Randolph High School.
- Destiny Pappas was awarded Top Speaker at the Ridge High School North East Regional Tournament.
- Josh Koshy medaled in the Novice division at both the Newark Science Invitational Tournament and the Ridge High School North East Regional tournament.
- Shihab Joseph placed 5th overall Varsity at Freehold High School.
- Roxanne Jiang become Timothy Christian School’s first Chinese exchange student to medal at an event and did so three times this year, highlighted by a 4th place JV finish at Ridge High School.
- Jolie Ruta medaled 6 times, highlighted by a 12th place JV finish at Princeton University and was awarded Top Speaker at the Newark Science Invitational Tournament.